Saturday, October 13, 2007

I'm not losing my shit....I swear it.

Have just had brunch with close girlfriend and am feeling a little bit more civilized. Jason has gone out book shopping and for what I suspect might be some independant man time. We are planning to go to a birthday party tonight...mayhaps we can get him very very drunk - he deserves some goofing off time.

As I'm sure you've deduced, am still very pregnant. We had our weekly date with our midwife yesterday who insisted that we have an ultrasound prior to our meeting. The problem with that was that we didn't have enough notice to make an appointment so had to do a walk in.

THREE HOURS later we had an ultrasound upon which we scored 8/8 on all things placenta/baby/amniotic fluid which was good. I'm nominally annoyed that I'm still pregnant but from what I can understand this is part and parcel of being due not necessarily overdue. October 5th was the 40 week date from the first day after my last period. Not necessarily the day that I conceived.

I have to remind myself that our schedule and the bun's schedule are not the same thing. Especially when it is so healthy. The placenta is not passed it's prime (amnio fluid volume es muy bueno), fetal movements are great (while distinctly uncomfortable) and muscle tone, heart rate and breathing movements are all great.

Keep in mind I've been having contractions from around 7:00 or 8:00 pm to about midnight every night.

So, every morning after a night of sleeping like a feather, waking up every 1.5 hours to the feeling of soft and encouraging contractions - I wake up feeling much like Elaine from the previous post. If you haven't watched the clip do that right now. It makes me laugh because I swear to god it's what happens in my mind every fucking morning.

Jason is doing great under the pressure. Once he talks me down from the cliff of insanity we actually enjoy this honeymoon phase of our relationship it's been a great break from work and parenting and in 16 years I look forward to looking back at this time longingly.

But until then.....I really do feel like I'm about to reenact that scene from Aliens my belly is so tight.

10 comments:

Jen said...

I am so sorry about the Alien bit. I felt the same way towards the end, especially when Jack decided to push sideways. I had some serious discussions with him that he could not come out that way! Hang in there!

canknitian said...

I'm cheering the three of you on here in Fredericton! Hope your schedules all synch up soon!

Big hug!
j

Auntie Pat said...

We are all rooting for you. Did you know that Alyson was 3 weeks late!!!A. Tep is with us in Halifax so there is a large gang waiting for news and wishing you hugs and kisses. keep cool!!!

Iris said...

Hang in there - 1st babies are almost always late by a week. (And it is 40 weeks or 280 days from conception). You could go another week! I do wish a safe birth for you!

fibersnob said...

I remember that time vividly, when it feels like you've been pregnant since the beginning of time and you could burst open at any moment. I tried to think of it as Markus giving mommy just one more day to relax before the fun begins. In a few days the waiting will be the furthest thing from your mind, there'll be more joy than you ever thought possible to erase it from your mind.

Carol said...

Yeah. Babies always have their own schedule and plans. And it doesn't change once bun comes out of the oven....

aviva said...

You are so close now honey. It's all very exciting!!!!! Maybe you'll have a quicker labour because your body's doing so much work now...

Charlotte said...

It really puts a whole new spin on the concept of suspense.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck and God Bless to you and your family! Peace

Sandi Purl said...

aren't babies just a buncha mothah suckas!? thinkin' bout u lots. sending positive vibes. can't wait to meet that little bun! xo